VIA National Calendar Day… October 11 of each year celebrates National Sausage Pizza Day, a food holiday that pizza lovers enjoy across the country.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the “pizza”.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had it’s beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Today, if your pizza is thin crust, hand tossed, thick crust or deep dish, top it with delicious Italian sausage and celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day.
Enjoy these “tried and true” sausage pizza recipes: